Saturday, January 26, 2008

Homeschooling Thoughts or Vapors

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

People often ask me about homeschooling. And, each and every time they do, I experience a brain-freeze. Why?
Because it's impossible to explain, share, or educate in a few sentences or a few minutes.
Homeschooling is a very broad topic!

Educating our children at home is what the word implies. After that, there are as many definitions to homeschooling as there are pecans in Georgia.

Also, I might mention that everything I share here is from my personal point-of-view. Since I'm not very good with spitting back names of authors, titles of books or quotes from notable figures, feel free to surf the internet for that type of info.

Sure, I've devoured countless pages on the subject throughout the years, but first-hand experience is what I know best.
(Okay, my favorite author is John Holt, be sure to look him up.)

First, let me say that I feel all parents
homeschool their children from the
moment their baby is born.
(I think you'll have to agree that you've been educating-at-home all of this time.)

After reading John Holt's books, and really latching on (ha!) to the concept that children are always learning, and that they learn best their own way, through play, imagination, music, textures, movement, relating with their family and the world, etc.. . .in other words. . .
provide an environment and let them go
, it all made sense.

That was a turning point for me.


I could relax and watch my kids grow-without-schooling. Everything and anything that encourages growth on any level of a child's life, counts. Rest assure, all of my kids, at very different times, learned academic-related skills. That is what most parents want to know, "When did you teach reading and writing and math?"

Well, I prefer the slip-it-in-when-they're-not-looking method of instructing. So, gradually and at their natural pace, those concepts are introduced.

Since I think most of you are mostly interested in homeschooling young children (under 10), we'll save the older-child questions for another time.

I hope this was a tiny-bit helpful. I'm happy to chat further, anytime.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

cheryle









No comments: