Monday, January 28, 2008

dusty memories

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Since Caroline and I have been sewing lately, she thought it would be fun to look through my old sewing patterns. So, yesterday afternoon we hiked out to the barn attic to dig out my seriously-old box of patterns.

Every pattern is from the 80s, and older! ACK!
Caroline had a good laugh as she sifted through the crazy selection. And, what's even funnier, I actually made clothes from those patterns! Puffy sleeves, jumpsuits, leggings, and long over-sized sweatshirts. Even I forgot how much clothing I made for the kids and myself back then. [those were the days]
Then, to continue on our treasure hunt, we decided to look through every storage box. Again, we found some great memories buried in those boxes. As I was telling Meg, I gave-up the kids' baby/child clothes and toys in stages. So, by the time we moved the fourth time in 12 years, I downsized my "keepsake" boxes for each kid. (small box)
Yesterday, I looked through each box, again.
How sweet.
As I pulled items from the boxes, I was immediately reminded of that child wearing that item. Sara's favorite dresses (she was a dress-girl), Logan's favorite velour sweat-suit (I made), Griffin's favorite herringbone suit jacket (size 3), Caroline's dresses she never wore (not a dress-girl), her favorite overalls, and Quinn's favorite cowboy boots (size 4).

Sweet memories, for sure. Some items are very worn, because obviously it was much-loved and worn often, or maybe constantly. Some are like new. Sara has the majority of saved clothes, as she always had the largest wardrobe to start with. She received lots of nice hand-me-downs from family and friends.


Sara wore that cute little swimsuit (above photo) when she was about nine-months-old (and up), and of course Caroline wore it also. You realize that means I saved it for more than 10 years! Those little shoes were also Sara's (Caroline went crazy when she spotted them-took these photos), she wore them until I discovered soft-soled shoes. (of which I have many pairs)

We also found some of my old children's book collection. There are many more somewhere. I found most of these books at garage sales. Caroline and Quinn found them fascinating. (as if they didn't grow up with these books!)



Now, I'll launder all of the clothes I found and ask Sara if she wants any of her items for Baby. And, put away the rest for later.
We had a great time. . .dusty memories and all.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .

~cheryle


No comments: